Pico de Gallo

1 comment

Are you like me? Did you hear Pico de Gallo and think it was something really fancy? I'd read a lot and a lot and a lot about this and thought it was something really fancy. When I finally got to the ingredients and actually made it once, I realised its certainly YUM, TANGY, DELICIOUS.. all of it in capitals. But...it's a salad or what we call "Challas" in Kerala. Something most North Indians would have with their roti-sabji if they weren't munching through those god-awful, malodorous, thick, onion slices. Yes, I detest those onion slices...


Every summer I go on this health binge. Frankly it gets too hot for me to think of baking or having anything sweet. I want lots of fresh juices, salads, chilled soups and ice-creams from Naturals to keep me happy. Works out well. Summer is probably the only season I kind of maintain weight without too much effort. Unless, of course I keep consuming those really sugary cold coffees. Then all my efforts go for a toss. But thats another story.

Now Pico de Gallo is a must try for everyone in summer. Its fresh, light, easy on the ingredients, works as a salad, side, dip... the list goes on! As you can see, its a favourite. The main thing to remember when making this is that no ingredient overpowers the other. All of them get equal distinction in taste with none taking precedence. Now get with me to making this extremely complicated, knife skills required salad!

Ingredients

1             small onion
4             tomatoes
2             green chillis (or more depending on heat)
1             juice of one lime
Bunch of Coriander
Salt

How

Dice onion, tomatoes. Slice green chillis into circles.
Mix around in a bowl.
Chop a bunch of coriander really fine and add to the rest of the ingredients.
Add juice from half a lime and work upwards depending on tanginess.
Sprinkle salt and toss toss toss all the ingredients together.

You're good to go. Serve with crackers/chips

*Just this with no chips would makes a meal for me. But you could keep some aside for Guacamole. :)
**If you haven't yet, please check out The Pioneer Woman's site. I can't even begin to tell you how good her stuff is. She has the most elaborate, step by step pictures for all recipes. Even shows you how to dice an onion!

1 comment :