Oatmeal Shortcakes with Spiced Plums

4 comments


I'm not even going to bother getting into banalities this time. The recipe is soooo good, we've been having these shortcakes plain, with marmalade, now spiced plums. It just disappears. Batches and batches of shortcakes... and the shortcakes itself are so easy, you can make and bake them in 30 mins flat with no whisking shisking business.

Adapted from Bon Appetit Desserts. Find it on Flipkart here. I got it as a birthday gift from my brother and sister in law. Of course I specifically asked for it! But am so super thrilled with it. So are they. I get to bake to my hearts content and they get to eat to their hearts content :) :) Big Big Thank you to them!!

Ingredients

Shortcakes

2 cups      All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup    Oats
1/2 cup    Golden Brown Sugar (I used Bluebird Demerera Sugar)
1 tbsp      Baking Powder
1/2 tsp     Salt
1/2 cup    Cold Diced Unsalted Butter ( I skipped the salt and used 100g Amul Butter)
2/3 cup    Milk
2 tbsp      sugar

Spiced Plums

6             Plums (8 wedges from each)
1/2 cup   Sugar
1/2tsp     Cinnamon Powder
1/2tsp     Ginger
2 tsp       Lemon Juice
2 tbsp     Unsalted Butter

3/4 cup  whipped cream
2 tbsp    icing sugar




How
Shortcakes

Preheat oven to 220C. Line a baking sheet.
Dry whisk all ingredients except butter and milk.
Rub cold butter into mix till it resembles a coarse mix.
Add milk till it all holds together.
Divide into 6 and pat into roughly circular shape. (I made 12 smaller ones)
Sprinkle sugar on top. Bake for 20 mins and voila you are done!

Spiced Plums

Warm sugar, cinnamon, ginger, lemon juice and plums in a saucepan on medium high heat stirring occasionally till plums release juice but are still firm. Around 4 mins.
Add butter till it just melts. Turn off heat.
That simple! ha!


To serve

Split the shortcakes. Spread whipped cream sprinkled with icing sugar and place the plums on top. Sandwich with top of shortcake.
As you can see, I skipped this part.


So I made lemonade cos it was just sooo hot today and I just had to add the plum syrup to get that punch!

Add two teaspoons of plum syrup to a glass of lemonade. Oh! and a plum wedge too!
(Ok.. please use the syrup before you add butter to it. It just sounds weird otherwise.. ugghh)

4 comments :

  1. So mia.. what's the difference between a shortcake and a scone? coz looks like a scone.. and reads like a scone.
    i love scones... so all this looks yum yummm...
    - smg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I think these are same as scones. In fact, half the time when I was typing this out, I typed scones and then had to backtrack. Just that the recipe calls them shortcakes and I thought I'd stick to it.
      But these are sooo good, so unlike normal scones, cos of the oatmeal I guess plus the golden sugar. Damn delicious!

      Delete
    2. cool! I must say the spiced plum looks absolutely yumm... but also the kind of thing i'm too lazy to do myself! :-) i only use brown sugar.. no white sugar in my home... brown sugar rocks baby!

      Delete
    3. Dee!!! Those spiced plums are the easiest! I swear Alannis could do it haha! I'd love to use only brown sugar, but that would a rather direct way to bankruptcy for me :-(

      Delete